Table of Contents:
Cancel Reservations at No Charge
If you missed the cancellation window for your hotel, restaurant, or car booking it is not all over. You still do not need to concede to the hefty cancellation fees. Instead, if you are still within the date range to change the reservation date free of charge, call or login into your account and move your reservation back by several weeks or months. Then call back after some time to cancel the reservation with, hopefully, a different representative.
Why You Should Never Trust the Photos Hotels Post Online
Best of Travel Tips:
- How to Sightsee on Public Transportation
- Remove airline baggage tags right after your trip.
These tags that get stuck to one of your bag handles or straps at check-in, contain information on the trip you just completed. Within the bar code on the tag, there is your destination airport code, any connecting city codes, as well as flight numbers, and real-time tracking as your bags get scanned from one place to the next. To make sure that your bags are routed to the correct location next time you travel, make sure to take off the old tags.
- At the airport or other areas with checkpoints, pick a line where there is only one security person looking at the monitor. If there are two, or more, they are most likely training one of them or looking into something. In either case, the line will slow down.
- 311 rule while observed oversees does not exactly equal the US 311. Where in the US the liquid needs to be in a container 3 oz or less, this rule overseas is 100 milligrams, which is actually 3.4 oz. So do not purchase travel containers in other countries, stock up and pack up while in the US. Travel Accessories
- TripIt to keep all your itineraries, registrations, and email confirmations in one place. With this app, you can automatically create itineraries by forwarding confirmation emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Share itineraries with family, friends, and co-workers to keep them in the know and connect with them on the road.
- Don’t go in the peak season to the popular destinations. Usually, a most popular time to travel is summer as the kids are home from school. Research your desired location and find out what the typical tourist season is as well as the weather.
- Don’t expect things to be like they are at home.
- Travel with your eyes wide open.
- Be open to learning new things.
- Don’t judge, instead of say, “Isn’t that interesting? Tell me more.”
- Learn the basics of the local language. Use them often. It is the best way to show respect, break down barriers and start conversations.
- Manners are universal, use them.
- Do not shout at others, they are not deaf, they just can’t understand you.
- NEVER complain that the people of the country you are visiting do not speak English. Remember where you are.
43 travel tips for first time travellers
To Do Before You Head Out:- Check that your passport and other identification docs are current
- Pay any upcoming bills
- Put holds on mail, newspaper
- Arrange for plant watering if needed
- Arrange for pet seating if needed
- Arrange for house seating if needed
- Buy any necessary medications, sunscreen
- Buy TSA-approved toiletries
- Choose and launder travel clothes
- Get rid of any perishables
- Share contact and itinerary with family
- Arrange for trash cans to be taken to or from the curb, or move them from public view entirely
- Check time zone differences
- Put reservation numbers and confirmations on a smartphone
- Send everything to TripIt
- Back up the laptop, smartphone, and devices
- Download movies or books to devices
- Tell everyone who is traveling what time departure for the airport will be
- Get gas for the car
- Get cash from ATM
- Check gate assignment
- Check terminal map
- Check airplane seats
- Check in online
- Map route to the airport
- Remove valuables from the car
- Charge devices
- Take snacks for the flight
- Set light timers if needed
- Check all door locks, including basement, garage and shed
- Set thermostats to vacation temps
Where to Find Free Wi-Fi at U.S. and International Airports
Hotspots for Pickpocketing in Nine Popular Travel Destinations
While in a different country, the smartphone can also be very useful. You can have access to GPS/Maps while abroad and also translation apps and services when you need them. To get the best out of a phone, get an unlocked GSM phone. You can also buy a pre-paid SIM card when you get to your destination or get SIM Cards That Don't Tie You Down
High concentration of tourists usually comes paired with high concentrations of spending money, cameras, phones, and other gadgets. While it is always good to hang out where there are more people, it is also important to keep your guard up especially in the "tourist traps."
10 Tips For International Business Travel
Baggage Policy by Airline
Good To Know For Travel: Baggage Guidelines Infographic
19 Tips To Help Make You A More Savvy Traveler
Traveling with Jewelry Tips via herpackinglist.com
60 Travel Packing Tips from the Experts
Best Travel Gear, Luggage and Travel Accessories
Great Travel Packing List Generator
7 Tips for Eating Healthy While Traveling:
1. Pack a meal before heading out
2. Make it a healthy one.
- Bring water instead of soda or juice that are high in sugar and low in nutrients
3. Eat breakfast
5. Drink plenty of water
- It is best to stay hydrated as you travel. Especially when you are on trails, tours, or other expeditions.
6. Eat like local (unless you are in Texas)
- try a little of everything, but not over-indulge, in the new place as you never know what kind of tasty and healthy treats you might come across.
7. 80/20 Rule
- works here too
- trying to eat healthy 100% of the time can be stressful while traveling. As long as you are eating well most of the time, you’ll still be getting the benefits. A few chocolates, wine, or beer could make the trip more enjoyable by experiencing things instead of getting down on yourself.
Top Healthy Travel Tips
Healthy Travel 101
Travel Tips: Traveling With Kids
Safety Tips to Prevent Losing Your Child in a Public Place
Eco-friendly travel tips
How to Keep Your Money Safe While Traveling
Travel Tips: Reduce Your Risk of Wireless Identity Theft
Prevent Identity Theft and Take Care
Saving Money for Travel and Gadgets
How to Save Money on Travel – 52 Ideas
Flight Canceled? Travel Insurance Could Have Helped